Welcome To The Copyright Information Resource Guide
Do you need publisher/copyright information to locate a piece of music, or need to obtain the necessary permission to perform or arrange it? How do you go about finding that information?
Follow our easy guide to searchable databases where you’ll find composers, titles, publishers, and other pertinent information for millions of compositions.
This is intended as a guide for locating the publisher of a piece of music. It links to various other organizations’ web sites which offer useful search tools. It is limited to those pieces in the repertory and/or licensed by the organizations listed. If you are unable to locate a specific title using this search process, it does NOT imply that the work is in the public domain.
The information in these areas is provided by the individual organizations. The Music Publishers Association assumes no liability for any errors or omissions in the information found at these organizations’ web sites.
If you are looking for the publisher of a piece of music, you may be able to locate this information using the search engines at the web sites listed below. This resource guide will provide the necessary steps to assist you in your search.
Follow these easy steps:
- If you have a copy of the music, examine the music for the copyright holder or publisher’s name.
- If the publisher or copyright holder is listed on the music, OR if you already know the publisher and need address information, search the Music Publisher Directory for the publisher or publisher imprint’s address and additional information.
- If you cannot locate the publisher on the music, OR you do not have a copy of the music:
- Read the descriptions of the organizations and their search engines below.
- Click on each of the organizations’ links below and proceed to the designated search area of each site (i.e. ACE, Hyper-Repertoire, On-Line Repertory).
- If you locate your title, write down any pertinent information associated with it.
- Once you have the appropriate contact information, you will need to contact the publisher directly with any permissions. Many publishers have forms directly on their websites.
Organizations and their Search Engines
Search ASCAP’s ACE, a searchable database of all compositions in the ASCAP repertory which have appeared in any of ASCAP’s domestic surveys, including foreign compositions licensed by ASCAP in the United States.
Search BMI’s HYPER-REPERTOIRE, an internet song title database for publisher information on songs licensed by BMI.
Search SESAC’s ON-LINE REPERTORY for works in the SESAC repertory which have been compiled from various sources.
Additional Links and Resources
American Composers Forum
American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAGAFTRA)
American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP)
Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners’ Society (AMCOS + APRA)
Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society (UK) (ALCS)
Broadcast Music Incorporated (BMI)
Bureau International des Societes Gerant les Droits d’Enregistrement et de Reproduction Mecanique (BIEM)
Canadian Music Centre
Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency Ltd. (CMRRA)
Confederation Internationale des societes d’Auteurs et Compositeurs (CISAC)
Copyright Society of the USA
Electronic Music Foundation
Gesellschaft fur Musikalische Auffuhrungs- und Mechanische Vervielfaltigungsrechte (GEMA)
Harry Fox Agency
Institut de Recherche et Coordination Acoustique/Musique (IRCAM)
International Computer Music Association
Irish Music Rights Organization (IMRO)
Komponister i Danmark (KODA)
Musica International Database of Choral Repertoire
National Association for Music Education (NAfME)
National Endowment for the Arts
National Music Publishers’ Association (NMPA)
New Music USA
Nordisk Copyright Bureau (NCB)
Norwegian Music Information Centre
Oral History, American Music (OHAM)
PRS For Music (UK)
Sociedad General de Autores y Editores (SGAE) (Spain)
Societe d’Auteurs Belge (SABAM) (Belgium)
Societe des Auteurs et Compositeurs Dramatiques (France) (SACD)
Society Of Composers, Inc.
Stichting Ter Exploitatie van het Mechanisch Reproductierecht der Auteurs (STEMRA) (Netherlands)
The Foundation Center
The Swedish Music Information Center
TONO – The Norwegian Performing Right Society
Worldwide Internet Music Resources (Indiana University list)